Licensing of Clearing Agents
This procedure covers the process of vetting, issuance, renewal and cancellation of Customs Agents License.
- An application for Clearing Agent's License, on Form C50, is made and forwarded to the Licensing officer.
- Each application is recorded and assigned a reference number.
- The application is vetted to ensure all the required supporting documents have been submitted.
These documents shall include:
- PIN certificates for the Company and all its directors
- ID for all directors
- VAT registration certificate
- Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association clearly indicating the Clearing and forwarding Agentâ€™s firm is a registered business.
- Certificate of Registration from the Registrar of Companies
- Certificate of good conduct for all directors
- Evidence of membership with a recognized Clearing & Forwarding Association (KIFWA). The evidence may take the form of a letter, payment receipt for annual membership fee or a certificate.
- Letter from bankers showing the company maintains an account with them.
- Letter from Domestic taxes Department confirming that the Company and all its Directors have lodged current Income Tax and VAT returns.
- Receipt for payment for the application form.
- If the application was presented after the deadline, the receipt for payment of the prescribed late application fee should also be attached.
- Applicants are invited for interview by the Licensing Committee.
- Successful applicants recommended for licensing are notified.
- The successful applicants are asked to pay the required License fee.
- The application is then approved by the Commissioner.
- Clearing Agent's License is issued.
NB: Unsuccessful applicants can make an appeal. A hearing is conducted, after which licensing is either recommended or declined.
- Application for renewal of the license is made on the prescribed License renewal form and submitted to customs.
- The Licensing Officer shall check for compliance with the conditions for renewal and confirm that the company has no outstanding transactions or pending queries.
- If the applicant has no pending queries or outstanding transactions, a recommendation is made Commissioner's office for renewal of the license.
- License is renewed.
NB. No License shall be renewed if the applicant has any pending queries or outstanding transactions.